OHIO-BIRDS Archives

July 2012

From:
Craig Holt <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Craig Holt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 Jul 2012 06:27:54 -0700
Ryan Golterman and I did some serious traveling yesterday 7/15, mostly in search of shorebirds in NE Ohio.  On my drive to our meeting point at Berlin L., I saw a n. mockingbird in Canfield and an osprey in Canfield Twp.  At Berlin L., we concentrated on the Stark Co. portion and also checked from the Rte. 224 causeway in Portage Co.  Berlin birds included: double-crested cormorants, great blue herons, 5 ospreys (2 young in a nest),150+ killdeers (very conservative estimate), spotted sandpipers, solitary sandpipers, greater yellowlegs, 12 lesser yellowlegs, semipalmated sandpipers, 30 least sandpipers, pectoral sandpiper, 7 short-billed dowitchers, ring-billed gulls, herring gull, 2 calling black-billed cuckoos, e. kingbird, warbling vireo, purple martins, tree swallows, bank swallows, barn swallows, cliff swallows, veery, and prothonotary warbler.  Next we carpooled up to Mosquito L., viewing from the pulloff along Hoagland-Blackstub Rd. and from
 the end of Mahan-Denman Rd.  The key word there was frustration.  The lake is down so low that the fresh mudflats are waaay out from shore, very difficult to view even with a scope.  There were plenty of shorebirds there, we were able to ID greater yellowlegs, 27 lesser yellowlegs, and 30+ least sandpipers.  We also saw 2 ospreys.  We ran into Bob & Denise Lane and Jeff Harvey there, who told us about the marbled godwit they had seen at Conneaut earlier in the morning.  We decided to go up to Conneaut to try for it.  On the way we saw an Am. kestrel in Gustavus Twp. (Trumbull Co.).  It was raining in Ashtabula Co., so we were optimistic about the chances of the beach crowd not being at the Conneaut sandspit. We arrived at 12:30 PM and our hopes were dashed, as there were a dozen vehicles and a bunch of people at the spit.  The marbled godwit was gone; we did see spotted sandpiper, 3 sanderlings, 7 least sandpipers, and 2 short-billed dowitchers
 which flew in.  Caspian, common, and Forster's tern were still present.  Belted kingfishers, purple martins, bank swallows, and yellow warblers rounded out our bird list at Conneaut.  At that point we called it a day.  Craig Holt, Lowellville