OHIO-BIRDS Archives

July 2012

From:
David Tan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
David Tan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Jul 2012 19:49:25 -0400
Hi all
My first post and I've followed with interest the thread on the White-faced
vs. Glossy Ibis.   I think it was Kenn who said of the three one is a
White-faced; others have agreed.  My experience with White-faced comes from
many western states (although I did document the first Mid Atlantic record
many years ago).    I was going to say that the pictures I was looking at
showed a larger heavier bird, esp. the head and neck until I ran through
them all and found a couple (July 15) with them together.   The red-eyed
bird in those shots did not give me that same impression.  I am not sure
that would be a negative factor anyway from these photos.   Basically, to
me, I see a 2nd cycle ibis with a red eye. I live I have seen the red eye
on a White-faced Ibis stand out like a beacon.   I have sifted through
thousands of Glossies and stop now and then thinking that is reddish, that
one is reddish, so on.  But the clear pure red eye of a White-faced stands
out a long ways; even in overcast at > 100 yds. with binocs it stands out.
 Reminds me of the eye on a male Brewer's Blackbird compared to that of a
male Rusty.   Even the facial region looks pinkish giving the whole head a
pale face unlike the Glossies gray tone which gives it an overall dull dark
face.   Anyway, I got the feeling that the conclusion was basically the
same for the same reasons; I have no issue with it being a White-faced
Ibis.  So good work to all and way to key out two similar species!

Last night, Patty and I went north to Prairie and than to Glacier for owl
and our luck continues to be meager.  We did have one Great Horned Owl and
one Barn Owl, the latter coursing over agricultural fields along Cty Hwy 16
near Glacier.   Now, we saw two opposum and a dozen rabbits so there is
plenty of food for Great Horned Owls here.  In the east I could find Great
Horned's in subdivions calling from the top of appartment buildings and by
driving a hundred yds. down any quiet road.  What gives?  Even at BDGW off
Big Darby Rd. I've only heard two in the last month in the forest lining
Big Darby Creek.

Tracy, that is a beautiful photo of one of the sedge Wrens at the wetlands.
 Nice work......

David Tan
Columbus