OHIO-BIRDS Archives

July 2012

From:
Bill Whan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bill Whan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Jul 2012 08:10:56 -0400
        I should apologize for misleading a number of readers; I was not
talking about double-crested cormorants, a familiar species that's been
nesting for centuries in Ohio (except during the DDT hiatus), and which
I learned from Elayna Grody has a nest or two on islands at the
Reservoir, which was news to me.
         I was wondering if I'd perhaps seen a NEOTROPIC cormorant
(Phalocrocorax brasilianus), which is another species altogether, a
Texas version much smaller (of course) than our familiar cormorant. I'm
thinking it's overdue here.  My friend Alan Wormington was quick to
remind me that neighbouring Ontario, which also rejoices in polar bears
and ptarmigans, already has FOUR records of this species, so perhaps
Ohio's time has come for a first record, since we must lie along the
Texas-Ontario flyway. Anyway, I won't need any further reminders that
Ohio has cormorants...
Bill Whan
Columbus
p.s. Special thanks to Dan & Doreene, who spent several fruitless hours
looking for this bird so I could add to my state list...