OHIO-BIRDS Archives

July 2012

From:
Dave Slager <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Dave Slager <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Jul 2012 08:49:24 -0400

Starting earlier this month, I've been seeing some adult Black-crowned
Night-herons foraging around the 5th Ave Dam on the Olentangy River in
Columbus.  There were 3 there this morning.  They can be seen early in
the morning, late in the evening, or at night (the street lights from
the SR-315 bridge illuminate them while they forage).

It is not clear whether these are the same birds that occupy the
winter roost just north of here across from the OSU Drake Union; I
have not been seeing birds at the Drake roost site during the day.
It's also worth noting that construction crews have very recently
cleared a 30m-wide swath through the Black-crowned Night-herons'
primary winter roost site.  Hopefully the swath will not get much
larger and the birds will still return this fall.

Good birding,
Dave Slager
Columbus, Ohio