OHIO-BIRDS Archives

July 2012

From:
H Thomas Bartlett <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
H Thomas Bartlett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 21 Jul 2012 07:52:01 -0400
Yesterday, July 20, Paula and I conducted the 15th July census on Kelleys
Island.  Others who had said they would come along backed out because of
light rain and high winds.  We had gusts of over 30 mph.  The high winds
made it very difficult to hear and that affected the end result.  We had 59
species and 7840 individuals.  The 15-year average for July is 61 species
and 3803 individuals.  No new species were added to the July list which
stands at 107.  Semipalmated Sandpiper was observed for only the second
time on a July census and a White-eyed Vireo is very uncommon anytime on
the island.  Eastern Wood-Pewee, Brown-headed Cowbird, and Orchard Oriole
were missed for the first time.  The high count of individuals was due to
the large number of gulls resting and feeding around the island.  The three
species of gulls accounted for 70% of the individuals observed.

54      Canada Goose
1        Wood Duck
46      Mallard
27      Double-crested Cormorant