OHIO-BIRDS Archives

July 2012

From:
ann oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
ann oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 21 Jul 2012 07:49:05 -0700
Inviting all birders to two field trips TOMORROW (Sunday, July 22) with The Ohio Ornithological Society at Ottawa NWR!
No pre-registration: FREE. Plus, a few birders are getting together for 'a bite and a beer' tonight (Saturday, July 21), at 7 pm, at McCarthy's Irish Pub in Port Clinton, and Sunday night at 7 pm at Mon Ami Winery on the Catawba Island peninsula (between Port Clinton and Lakeside).
The Sunday morning OOS field trip gets an early start, with a meeting time of 7 to 7:15 am, in the parking lot of Ottawa NWR. From the parking lot, we'll head to a closed section of Ottawa NWR, in search of sparrows, including Henslow's, Vesper, and Grasshopper. Then, we'll search for other species, wrapping up just before 10 am.
The second OOS field trip meets Sunday afternoon, at 2:30-2:45 in the Ottawa NWR lobby, outside of the refuge gift shop. From the lobby, we'll head out for a another hour or two of group birding (destination TBA).
You don't have to register in advance, just show up!
OOS thanks Ottawa NWR refuge in advance for accommodating these field trips.
Additionally, the auto-tour at Ottawa is open both days this weekend, from 8-4. FYI-Conditions at the refuge have been dry overall, but a several species of shorebird have been reported across northern Ohio in the last few days, so the field trip next Sunday afternoon might venture further afield. *** A few shorebird species (Least & Semipalmated Sandpipers, plus dowitchers) are being seen on the auto-tour route, so keep your fingers crossed.
Our OOS leaders on Sunday morning include Bill Thompson III (OOS Vice-President & Editor of Bird Watcher's Digest), Dan Sanders (OOS Central Ohio Director), Doreene Linzell (uber-birder), Rebecca Hinkle (OOS Northwest Director and Ottawa Visitor Services Manager), Bob Placier (OOS Southeast Regional Director, bird bander, and Hocking College-Natural Resources Department staff), and more.
 Our leaders for the afternoon session include Craig Caldwell (OOS Northeast Regional Director and seasonal editor of The Ohio Cardinal), Randy Rogers (OOS Recording Secretary), Jen Sauter (OOS President), Julie Davis (OOS Member-at-Large), and more.
Some of the OOS board members, who are leading the Sunday AM field trip, are also meeting for dinner, Saturday evening, July 21, at 7 PM, at McCarty's in Port Clinton (101 Madison Street, 419-732-8800). Join us for a bite or a beer (self pay) and tell us about your recent birding experiences...
Sunday evening, also at 7 PM, OOS will 7 meet at Mon Ami Winery, near Port Clinton, for another dinner, welcoming any and all birders to join (self-pay).
 So, if you are in NW Ohio this weekend, please join OOS at one of these gatherings! We'd love to have you along and hear about your birding adventures.
 Ann Oliver,
 OOS Executive Secretary
 Editor, The Cerulean Newsletter (quarterly publication of OOS)