OHIO-BIRDS Archives

July 2012

Date:
Tue, 3 Jul 2012 23:29:52 -0400
I don't know if I'm just noticing this for the first time or if it's
because of the drought, but I've had some interesting birds nectar-feeding
from the Trumpet Creeper flowers (Campsis radicans).  For several days I
had two baltimore orioles, a male and a female – not all that surprising,
since orioles are known to visit hummingbird feeders. It would make sense
they would use other hummingbird nectar sources. But it was a first for me
witnessing this activity. Interestingly, a juvenile male rose breasted
grosbeak was also seen feeding from the Trumpet Creeper blossoms!

For those thinking of running out to purchase a Trumpet Creeper, let me set
you straight from the get-go. This is not a vine for climbing up the
mailbox or trellis. Mine is growing up the trunk of a wild cherry tree
(another bird favorite). The tree is about 35 feet tall. The vine has grown
completely to the top of the tree in 7 years, and extends about 10 feet out
on several branches. I expect it to eventually knock the tree down! The
vine also suckers readily, sprouting shoots up to 20 feet from the main
trunk. You must plant it either where you can mow 360° around it or be
vigilant and pull shoots often. I have seen them send shoots up through
asphalt driveways!  If you can site this vine appropriately, it is
beautiful in bloom and the birds – hummers and apparently others – love it!
 There are other species and hybrids of Campsis that may be less rampant
and more suitable for growing up a lamp post, but I have not grown them and
can't attest to their ability to attract birds.

In other yard bird news, three of my house wren nest boxes fledged young in
June and it appears there may be follow-up broods in at least two. That is
a record by a long shot. It's a wren-o-rama around here!

Other confirmed or likely interesting nesters in or adjacent to my yard are
cedar waxwing, eastern bluebird, eastern phoebe, eastern wood pewee (a
first!), carolina wren, red-shouldered hawks (5th year?), yellow warbler,
brown thrasher, n. flicker, downy woodpecker, and last but not least, the
ospreys are still attending the Jacoby Rd. nest visible from my yard. I am
hoping to see some nestlings soon.

Karen Gray
Copley / Summit Co.