OHIO-BIRDS Archives

July 2012

From:
inga schmidt <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
inga schmidt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Jul 2012 10:32:49 -0400
A sedge wren was heard yesterday at Frohring Meadows, by Wes Hatch.  He had
posted it to ebird.

I was going to head over there this morning to look, but wanted to check my
own property first. I'm just down the power lines from Frohring, and have some
small areas with habitat that could be attractive, though much smaller and shrubbier than
the Frohring acreage.  Standing on the easement, by the little depression with sedges (with edges)
I finally heard an unfamiliar call....and gradually, a little head with a pale throat emerged,
and then the sedge wren popped out and  called, for ten minutes.  (Property list #166?)

I wouldn't have been able to call it on song alone, so am grateful for the prolonged view.

Thanks e bird!  A valuable prompt to narrow the search to the possible and probable.

Inga Schmidt
Chagrin River Road, Geauga Co at the Cuyahoga county line