OHIO-BIRDS Archives

August 2012

From:
robert lane <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
robert lane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 19 Aug 2012 13:26:51 -0400
Jeff Harvey, Bob Krajeski, and myself, birded The Conneaut Sandspit this morning, Sunday, from 7AM to 10AM. We recorded 29 species of birds. The major highlight was a single Red-necked Phalarope, who made a short visit about 9:30AM. The other shorebirds present were a lone Black-bellied Plover, 12 Semipalmated Plovers, 8 Killdeer, 1 Greater Yellowlegs, 6 Lesser Yellowlegs, 3 Sanderlings, 3 Semipalmated Sandpipers, and 15+ Least Sandpipers. Bald Eagle count today was a mere 12. We were the only birders during the three hour duration, and only four other vehicles passed thru. One was a Conneaut Port Authority employee. I asked him about the unbelievably low water level; he informed me that Lake Erie is 18 inches below normal pool presently, and is expected to reach 24 inches below the normal pool in the next two months. There is more sand exposed than I have ever seen.  Bob Lane / sent from Damascus, Mahoning County