OHIO-BIRDS Archives

August 2012

From:
Bob Powell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bob Powell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 19 Aug 2012 17:22:15 -0400
John Herman's message sent me scurrying to my trusty copy of Pyle
("Identification Guide to North American Birds," Vol 2) to make sure that I
have been correctly aging Little Blue Herons.  Pyle says that LBHE's first
molt after fledging is a preformative molt in Sep-Feb.  Prebasic molt takes
place in non-breeding second-years in Apr-Dec, and Jul-Dec for all
breeders.  Thus, all the white birds we are seeing currently  can safely be
judged juveniles, including the two we have been reporting from Caesar
Creek for almost three weeks.  There does not seem to be an "immature
plumage" as such.

Pyle also states that sexing is highly problematical and probably not
reliable in most cases.  Ornamental plume length can be used in some cases
to distinguish males, but any determination requires in-hand examination.

Cheers,

Bob

--
Robert D Powell