OHIO-BIRDS Archives

August 2012

From:
Don Stover <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Don Stover <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 19 Aug 2012 17:28:57 -0400
Friday 8/17 My friend Ken and I whent kayaking down the Mohican river. We
launched where Ohio RT 62 crosses the river and got out approx. 10 miles
downriver where the Mohican joins the Kokosing river. We were on the river
less than 10 minutes when we saw our first eagle. In less than 20 minutes
we had seen four eagles all immatures. It took us five and a half hours to
make the complete trip and we saw an amazing 24 eagles. Five were adults
and the rest were this years hatch to four year olds. We may have seen
more but we did not count any that flew down river so we did get multiple
looks at the same bird. A number of the birds gave us great looks. We also
saw plenty of great blues, king fishers and ceder wax wings. I bounced off
of many a rock while watching eagles.