OHIO-BIRDS Archives

August 2012

From:
Bill Whan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bill Whan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 Aug 2012 12:36:49 -0400
Paul and anyone else interested--
        Some speculations about your nighthawk questions. Nighthawks are
diurnal migrants, and while we may see as many as a dozen together in
the spring, this time of the year you can seem them in much larger
numbers, when migration is more leisurely, and there are more
inexperienced birds in the flocks.
        There are published fall records of 3000+ and ~2500 over Columbus. The
most I've ever seen was 600+; most of the time I see straggling birds,
not often in tight flocks, but continually moving in small numbers. The
flock of 600 were all moving north--the 'wrong' way--just before dark.
        Nighthawks aren't communal in most ways, but like a lot of other
species when they find others of their kind moving in migration,
survival is served by keeping in sight with one another, and they may
roost communally after dark in trees. Nighthawks don't have much use for
trees during the breeding season, but they seem to like their cover in
unfamiliar surroundings by night.
        My half-baked explanation for the wrong-way movement is that here on
the north side of Columbus, birds moving south as it's getting dark
eventually see the bright and relatively treeless city center, and
U-turn toward the parks, etc., north of downtown for safe roosts. I
wonder if others have noticed this on the north side of big cities.
         Nighthawks adapt to urban settings; they will nest atop buildings, but
given the choice, I imagine the migrating birds that choose dense trees
for roosting are more likely to survive, so they may often have to
backtrack at dusk to areas more suitable for roosting. Clusters of large
trees are denser along the rivers, too.
Bill Whan
Columbus