OHIO-BIRDS Archives

August 2012

From:
Paul Hurtado <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Paul Hurtado <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 Aug 2012 12:41:56 -0400
That dark crown with well defined border over the supercillium looks good
for Hooded or Wilson's, as you mentioned, but I think you're excellent
photos are deceiving you when comes to those "wingbars" -- those are just
fresh feather edges with a little color to them, and are perfectly normal
fresh non-wingbars. Stand back from you're computer a bit and they'll
disappear ;)

As for Hooded vs. Wilson's, that second photo doesn't show any white on the
inner half of the individual tail feathers, which suggests Wilson's. Also,
it's showing a little dark color on the crown, and this extends pretty far
forward and not too far back, which also suggests Wilson's over Hooded.
Lastly, the lores on Hooded are usually (if not always?) dark, whereas this
bird has pretty yellow lores that match the rest of the yellow in the face.

All point towards Wilson's! :-)

Good birding,
Paul Hurtado