OHIO-BIRDS Archives

August 2012

From:
David Bernstein <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
David Bernstein <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Aug 2012 11:01:37 -0400
Hi Guys!

I headed out to southern most part of the Deer Creek WMA (East st @
Water/Walnut st) yesterday with the hopes of finding my life Sedge Wren and
Henslow's Sparrow.  I arrived at 6:15pm and had good light until about
8:15pm. I found 1 Sedge Wren in the first 10 minutes of trudging through
the absurdly tall and thick grass/vegetation.  It was not singing, though
it flushed and then made a few clicking sounds upon my entrance to its
vicinity.  After that, I did not find any other Sedge Wrens for the 2hrs I
was there.

I found ZERO Henslow's Sparrow - very much to my dismay.  I walked through
the grass and vegetation as thoroughly as I possibly could. I walked
entirely around the dried up pond, and a few hundred yards North of it, I
walked about 100 yards East of it (towards the barns), I walked the whole
field between the pond and East St (where I parked), and I walked much of
the grass along the property-line fence (to your left upon entering the
WMA). I listened attentively for their song/call, and thought I heard it's
two-note call at one point, but not well enough to confirm the "sighting."
I should also mention that I flushed many sparrows along my travels, but
they would flush and quickly drop down deep into the grass, well before I
could make an ID. In my experience, when sparrows flush they often fly-off,
but then perch for a few moments on a tall grass shoot before heading deep
down, but not these guys! I mention this only because some of these flushed
birds certainly could have been Henslow's, but I cannot confirm that.  I
was really hoping there would be at least ONE signing bird, but I was not
that lucky.

I am hoping to try again the same time on Monday, unfortunately I will be
out of town this weekend.  If anyone happens to find any Henslow's in this
area (or anywhere near Dayton) please post location details to OH Birds or
email me directly, as I really want to find this bird!

Complete list from yesterday can be found below.

Thanks to everyone for all their help and input!

Best,

David Bernstein
Boston, MA
DavidBBernstein at Gmail

East St. Protected Wetland area, Pickaway, US-OH
Aug 22, 2012 6:10 PM - 8:10 PM
Protocol: Traveling
1.5 mile(s)
22 species (+1 other taxa)
Mallard (Anas platyrhynchos)  2
Osprey (Pandion haliaetus)  1
Mourning Dove (Zenaida macroura)  15
Chimney Swift (Chaetura pelagica)  3
Ruby-throated Hummingbird (Archilochus colubris)  1
Empidonax sp. (Empidonax sp.)  1
Eastern Phoebe (Sayornis phoebe)  1
American Crow (Corvus brachyrhynchos)  4
Bank Swallow (Riparia riparia)  2
Barn Swallow (Hirundo rustica)  6
Cliff Swallow (Petrochelidon pyrrhonota)  15
Sedge Wren (Cistothorus platensis)  1
American Robin (Turdus migratorius)  4
Gray Catbird (Dumetella carolinensis)  2
European Starling (Sturnus vulgaris)  75
Cedar Waxwing (Bombycilla cedrorum)  11
Common Yellowthroat (Geothlypis trichas)  4
Field Sparrow (Spizella pusilla)  4
Song Sparrow (Melospiza melodia)  4
Sparrow sp. 8
Indigo Bunting (Passerina cyanea)  8
Bobolink (Dolichonyx oryzivorus)  20
Red-winged Blackbird (Agelaius phoeniceus)  2
American Goldfinch (Spinus tristis)  12