OHIO-BIRDS Archives

August 2012

From:
Haans Petruschke <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Haans Petruschke <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Aug 2012 16:14:44 -0400
Hi,

To add to Kenn's post there are at least 2 probable nesting records of Red
Crossbill in northern Ohio.  In July of 1970 adults with downy young were
observed in Rocky River.

 In the winter of 2000-2001 Red Crossbills were found in the  Ponderosa
Pine stand at the Holden Arboretum.  These coincided with the Townsend's
Solitaire which was also at Holden that winter.  In early February 2001,
Nick Barber, found a just fledged, or nearly fledged bird, at the base of
one of the pines.  Unfortunately the bird was given to the Lake
Metroparks' Penitentiary Glen rehab center, and was "lost". Had
the specimen been preserved it would have been very valuable as
verification of  breeding in Ohio if cataloged in an accredited collection
like that at the Cleveland Museum of Natural History.

This is a species which  falls into the always possible category.  It is
useful to always listen for them whenever you are near pine stands, as once
a good food source is found, they may stick around and even nest, no matter
the time of year.

Haans Petruschke
Kirtland