OHIO-BIRDS Archives

August 2012

From:
robert lane <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
robert lane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 25 Aug 2012 21:55:36 -0400
Three of us; Jeff Harvey, my wife Denise, and myself, were in search of shorebirds from 8AM to 4PM today, Saturday. We started off at Pipe Creek State Wildlife Area near the entrance to Cedar Point Amusement Park, then on to the Duff Washa/Lemon Road Area in Ottawa County, next came the Crane Creek Estuary Trail in Lucas County, and then a return to Pipe Creek. We were successful in finding 22 species of shorebirds. There was excellent habitat and an abundance of birds at all three locations. On our first visit to Pipe Creek, some of the birds recorded were a Red Knot, 6 Red-necked Phalaropes, a Snowy Egret, and 3 Little Blue Herons. Duff Washa provided another Red-necked Phalarope for the day. Crane Creek added a Whimbrel, a Black-bellied Plover, and 2 Buff-breasted Sandpipers. We then returned to Pipe Creek from 2PM to 4PM. The next two hours of shorebirding would rank right at the top of the most memorable birding any of us can remember. Upon our return to the Unit B Area, we immediately saw a Buff-breasted Sandpiper nearby. A short time later, we found a second. The duo provided us with the opportunity to study these beauties at close range. Next came the six Red-necked Phalaropes, a single Wilson's Phalarope, and several Stilt Sandpipers, all hanging out together. What an unbelievable sight! Shorebirds were everywhere, including 2 Willets, a White-rumped Sandpiper, a Wilson's Snipe, and numerous Dowitchers, just to name a few. A Peregrine Falcon occasionally passed thru disrupting the waterfowl and numerous shorebirds. Each time it would return to a perch at the top of a dead tree, across the way along Cedar Point Drive. What a remarkable day! I would like to add a point of interest; during the past week we have seen Red-necked Phalaropes at five different sites across the state, how amazing is that?

Bob Lane / Mahoning County