OHIO-BIRDS Archives

August 2012

From:
robert lane <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
robert lane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 26 Aug 2012 11:53:51 -0400
Now that I have had time to reflect on yesterday's 2PM to 4PM afternoon visit to The Pipe Creek State Wildlife Area's Unit B Area; I realize, that what I considered a memorable experience, was really the ultimate classroom for shorebird identification. Was yesterday the peak day of the fall season for shorebirds at this site? Time will tell! The afternoon visit was obviously more rewarding than the early morning visit. I have been birding my whole life, and do not ever remember having such a concentration of sought after shorebird species, in such abundance, up close for detailed viewing, all at the same time, from a single scope setup, creating a birding frenzy. Some of the afternoon learning moments that brought excitement, were witnessing the Buff-breasted Sandpipers resting in the green grass, taking flight and coming right at us several times, and seeing a new out of the norm behavior for me, a Buff-breasted Sandpiper actually feeding in the shallow water, close by. Add roller coasters in the background, as the saying goes, pricelesss!!! How often are you lucky enough to be able to compare a Red-necked Phalarope to a Wilson's Phalarope? Side by side; add in a Stilt Sandpiper, and a Short-billed Dowitcher in the same scope view. Wow! It is amazing when a couple of Willets do not even gather attention. The Peregrine Falcon, actually sometimes added to the learning experience by flushing nearly all the visitors, who always seemed to return, giving a chance to check the birds out in flight. What are the chances of seeing a trio of white; Great Egret, Little Blue Heron, and Snowy Egret, all standing together, it was happening at Pipe Creek yesterday. The stories could go on and on, but it is time to move on. Will I ever duplicate yesterday' adventure? I hope so! But if not, I do have my birding moment memories to look back on.

Bob Lane / Mahoning County