OHIO-BIRDS Archives

August 2012

From:
Kenn Kaufman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Kenn Kaufman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 27 Aug 2012 23:39:21 +0000
In the area of Magee Marsh, n.w. Ohio, it rained most of this morning and early afternoon. After it let up, a couple of us went to the boardwalk to check out bird activity following the rain. Things were fairly quiet and the birds were distributed in patches, but we wound up seeing a dozen warbler species in a brief visit to the west end of the boardwalk. The highlight was a male Golden-winged Warbler (continuing from yesterday?) at the northeast corner of the small loop, just north of numbers 7 and 8. A Mourning Warbler was in the same general area. Other species seen were Black-and-white, Prothonotary, Tennessee, Magnolia (6), Bay-breasted, Blackpoll, Chestnut-sided, and Black-throated Green warblers, plus American Redstart and Common Yellowthroat. Ruby-throated Hummingbirds were notably numerous in the woods, with at least 15 seen. Few other migrants were apparent, but we found Wood Thrush, Least Flycatcher, Philadelphia Vireo, and a few other birds that probably didn't nest in this immediate locality.

Notably prevalent were Tennessee Warblers: we saw at least 20, practically outnumbering all other warblers combined. At a couple of points, there were 4 or 5 visible at once. In my experience here, it's typical for this species to peak in late August and early September. This is a good time to study Tennessee Warbler, because Orange-crowned Warbler - which can be confusingly similar - is essentially absent this early in the season. Building up a good mental image of Tennessees now will be helpful when trying to find an Orange-crowned in late September or October.

Kenn Kaufman

Oak Harbor, Ohio