OHIO-BIRDS Archives

August 2012

Date:
Mon, 27 Aug 2012 21:33:18 -0400
Hi Guys!

I went out to do some landscape photography after work today. The clouds were beautiful and the sun was starting to peek out creating some dramatic skies.

Anyway, my plan was to drive down Germantown road towards Germantown metro park and look for a cool shot. Of course what always happens when I go out to do landscape photography is that it turns into a birding trip...

I ended up at Germantown Meadows/Possum Creek Metro Park. The trip started with super-close looks at a Black Vulture amongst 8 TV's. I walked around the 3 small ponds at first.  There we're over 60 mourning doves and 60+ Cedar Waxwings. A few Pewees, but nothing too exciting. As I was heading back to my car around 5:45 I had two Common Nighthawks fly over. Then I looked out over the field in front of the largest pond (on the other side of the road) and saw a HUGE swarm/flock of birds apparently feeding over the water. I walked over to check it out.

The vast majority were Starlings and more Waxwings. Then in a matter of minutes a few Nighthawks flew in. 30 minutes later there were over 150 nighthawks zooming all around my head!  It was an unbelievable experience. This lasted for almost 45+ minutes. A swarm of 150+ chimney swifts would come to where the nighthawks were and seem to chase them off.

The flock was feeding in the setting sun  and it would reflect a perfect orange off their bellies.  It was one of those moments when you are just awed by the incredible beauty of nature.

Other highlight of the day was a Sora i photographed in the cattails.

If any one is interested, it might be worth checking this spot out again tomorrow.

Have a great night!

Best,

David Bernstein
Boston, MA