OHIO-BIRDS Archives

August 2012

From:
Bill Whan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bill Whan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 5 Aug 2012 08:36:57 -0400
Some rather premature red flags of autumn come from Ontario over the
past couple of days: a red knot, a red phalarope, and a rufous hummingbird.
        As for swallow-tailed kites, here is some history. Most folks think of
them as a Florida species, but their range was once much larger, easily
encompassing Ohio. We have Ohio specimens in museums, including skins
and archaeological remains, and plenty of anecdotal evidence they were
once common in prairie country here. Modern texts, such as the BNA, seem
a bit timid about representing its former range. The OSU Museum has an
egg collected in New Hampshire. A hunter in Wisconsin wrote in 1854 of
this species that it was “at one time quite numerous on our prairies,
and quite annoying to us in grouse shooting." At one time it was
regarded as common in Vermont, with wintering records, and a summer
resident in S. Dakota, etc.  It is hardly a difficult ID, so
mis-identifications are unlikely. It should not be surprising that
humans with guns were complicit in the shrinkage of its range; one
commentator wrote "Direct human persecution of a conspicuous,
notoriously unwary bird whose original numbers in many areas may have
been relatively small seems the most likely cause of the rapid decline."
These days, fall roosts of this species in Florida have been estimated
to contain as much as 50% of the N. American population.
Bill Whan
Columbus