OHIO-BIRDS Archives

August 2012

From:
Dan Kramer <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Dan Kramer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 Aug 2012 14:01:42 -0400
Like many others I spent the morning at Atwood Lake looking for the brown
pelican.  It was seen by multiple observers at the east end near the osprey
nesting platform at Dellroy.

While birding there I found several other notable species including an
immature little blue heron.  The heron was found along the wooded southern
shoreline in the backwaters east of the State Route 542 causeway.  It was in
the vicinity of 3 great egrets making the size comparison and ID very
apparent.  An immature black-crowned night heron was also found perched in
the trees on the small island next to the osprey nesting platform.

Shorebirds included 7 semipalmated plovers, least, semipalmated, pectoral,
and solitary sandpipers, as well as many killdeer.

And waterfowl included a total of 4 green-winged teal, many wood ducks,
mallards, and a single northern shoveler.

Finally, other species seen at/around Atwood Lake this morning:

Canada goose               double-crested cormorant

ring-billed gull                American crow

belted kingfisher             pied-billed grebe

great blue heron             barn swallow

cliff swallow                   white-eyed vireo

Carolina wren                 song sparrow

osprey                          turkey vulture

A stop at Zoar Wetlands also found good shorebird numbers with 26 peeps, 3
lesser yellowlegs, 5 pectoral and 6 solitary sandpipers, 1 semipalmated
plover, and many killdeer all of which were being harassed by a Cooper's
hawk.

Dan Kramer

Bolivar

330-365-0602