OHIO-BIRDS Archives

August 2012

From:
Kenn Kaufman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Kenn Kaufman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 Aug 2012 02:24:48 +0000
Today, August 28, is the birthdate of the late Roger Tory Peterson, who basically invented the modern field guide and who had a massive impact on birding and natural history during the 20th century. As many Ohio birders may have heard, some of Peterson's artwork is going to be auctioned off soon in New York. This auction has more of a back story than one might expect, with a bit of mystery and some controversy. For those interested in more detail, I've written a blog post about Peterson's art as it relates to this auction, available at this link: bit.ly/Rl8GsU

In case the shortened link doesn't work, here's the full URL, though you might have to cut-and-paste it together in your browser if it breaks at the end of the line in your email: http://birdingwithkennandkim.blogspot.com/2012/08/auction-action-roger-tory-peterson.html

Even if you don't read the blog post, I'd like to direct you to this statement about the auction from the Roger Tory Peterson Institute of Natural History: bit.ly/OIc7vC

The Peterson Institute is in a unique position to comment, and their perspective is certainly worth considering in this case.

Kenn Kaufman
Oak Harbor, Ohio