OHIO-BIRDS Archives

August 2012

From:
robert lane <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
robert lane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 Aug 2012 22:06:05 -0400
For anyone interested in trying to see the juvenile Brown Pelican in Carroll County tomorrow, it looks like it will still be there. When we departed the Atwood Lake Area at 7:05PM, the celebrity visitor was actively feeding on the lake. Sometime after 5PM, the pelican was continually on the move between the previously described roost tree and the East Marina Area, about a mile to the west. At about 5:30PM, while we were having a wonderful meal, on the back outside deck of "The Dock Waterfront Grill At Atwood Lake", the Brown Pelican was giving a diving exhibition out in the middle of the lake. Everyone dining and drinking were attentively watching. An adult Bald Eagle was overhead to add more excitement. While dining, we also had an added bonus of entertainment, below us in the marina basin, was a male Chiloe Wigeon (Anas sibilatrix), serenading everyone on the deck with its whistling call. This beautiful waterfowl is native to southern South America, from Chile to the Falkland Islands. He is worth checking out if you come to see the Brown Pelican. The site area is on the east end of the lake, about a mile northwest of the town of Dellroy on SR542. On the west end of the lake is Atwood Lake Park, this is not where you want to be! Find your way to Dellroy.  Bob and Denise Lane