OHIO-BIRDS Archives

August 2012

From:
Doreene Linzell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Doreene Linzell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 Aug 2012 16:50:07 -0400
WOW! What a morning I had birding from my own back yard patio. Now, I have a very small yard, but, it just so happens that my back yard neighbor is Blendon Woods Metro Park! I can't even begin to tell you how excited I was as I watched from 7:00-9:20. I had six 'yard birds'! Here are the highlights!

American Goldfinch family - parents feeding fluttering young!
Carolina Wren - parents showing one little tailless guy/gal how to get suet from the suet feeder. Lots of calling back and forth!
Gray Catbird
Red-eyed Vireo - still calling!!!!
Warbling Vireo
Northern Parula
Tennessee Warbler
Wilson's Warbler - one adult and one young (traveling together???)
Yellow-throated Warbler
American Redstart
Nashville Warbler
Black-throated Green Warbler
Ovenbird
One unidentified "baypoll"!!! (either Bay-breasted or Blackpoll)
One unidentified flycatcher - very yellowish, not calling! Can't do anything with that!

If I had 10 species of warblers in my yard, I'm sure curious to see what a report from the park itself might have!!! I'll be back out in my yard in the morning for a bit before we head off to the boardwalk at Hoover to see if there are any interesting shorebirds hanging around up there!

If you can get out this evening, you might still be able to see some migrants trying to get their last meal before nightfall.

Good Birding!

Doreene Linzell