OHIO-BIRDS Archives

August 2012

From:
Bill Whan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bill Whan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 10 Aug 2012 08:36:07 -0400
I want to apologize for some errors I made in yesterday's post on
shorebirds (below).  They were pointed out to me by expert recordkeepers
Alan Wormington and John Herman.
        These errors involve the numbers and timing of whimbrel migration. Alan
reminded me that it is in spring, not fall, that observers see large
flocks on the Ontario side of Lake Erie, with all the consequences for
us on the Ohio side. The spring record day at Point Pelee numbered 600.
I looked up the records, and it turns out Ohio also has many more
whimbrels recorded in spring, not fall as I stated. For example, John
related that he had twice seen inland flocks of over a hundred: 101 at
Funk Bottoms WA on 26 May 1984, and 106 at Killdeer Plains on 5/24/1995.
These are more unusual than the 150+ John Pogacnik reported over Lake
Erie in spring of 2000, for instance; overall more whimbrels occur in
Ohio in spring, and usually over Lake Erie. But good luck or a lot of
time is required to see them.
        This makes sense as the urgency to get to the breeding grounds
encourages large flocks of this species to pass through our region. But
they are in a hurry, and only briefly pass by. They are easy to see when
present, but seldom are they seen for long, or by many observers. They
are at least predictable; nearly all these flocks have been seen between
20 and 30 May here.
        Fall whimbrels are the ones that most often make it to peoples' lists,
because they are more spread out over the landscape (though in much
smaller numbers), and tend to stay longer in one spot. I bet many more
birders will remember the lone one that hung around Medusa Marsh for so
long a few years ago, more birders than have ever seen one in spring.
Still, while the number of locations in which fall whimbrels are seen is
larger, their overall numbers are fewer.
        Sorry for misleading anyone with my errors; most of my own whimbrel
sightings were understandably in the fall, which led me to think they
were more numerous then. Still, now is probably the best time to look
for whimbrels, not because they are more numerous, but because they are
more spread across the landscape, and more likely to be there tomorrow
after someone reports them today. Still, I look forward to seeing a big
flight someday...
With my apologies,
Bill Whan