OHIO-BIRDS Archives

August 2012

From:
Steve Cagan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Steve Cagan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 10 Aug 2012 13:50:30 -0500
Hi all,

Saludos from the Colombian Pacific rain forest, which unfortunately is under
great threats, which affect huge numbers of birds, insects, reptiles,
amphibians, fish, mammals, trees, ferns, flowers and more....

Just one short comment on the mentor question. Not only have I, like
everyone, benefitted from help from more knowledgeable and experienced
people (though I started as an adult, and not such a young one at that). But
in the case of Ben and numerous other young birders in the northeast Ohio
area, we not only assume that mentors helped them, but we know who some of
those mentors are--I won't name them without asking permission, but some of
them are very well-known here and their efforts to bring young birders along
have even been recognized by the community--we are proud of them. I'm sure
Ben would agree...

Eagerly awaiting the arrival of the first migrant shorebirds to this area,

Steve

On 8/10/12 1:35 PM, "=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Janet_Creamer?=" <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

> Kudos on the great find. That is fantastic!
>
> On another note, I personally do not know Ben or whether he benefited from
> mentoring. I do know, I myself, did and still do. I love getting out in
> the field with others that are more experienced birders than myself. Many
> birders and nature enthusiasts benefit from the help of others.
> Organizations like OYBC, Ohio Ornithological Society, Indiana Young
> Birders and similar groups give young birders a place to meet like-minded
> individuals, show them great areas to see birds, and gain support and
> assisitance from adults for their love of birds. Also, the "old birders"
> benefit from giving back, as well. I don't think any birder I have met has
> not benefited from another birder's knowledge and experience and the
> kindness of sharing it with others.
>
> Janet Creamer
> Indianapolis, IN
> and Lebanon, OH

> Additional discussions can be found in our forums, at
> www.ohiobirds.org/forum/.

Steve Cagan, photographer
[log in to unmask] € www.stevecagan.com
www.pbase.com/stevecagan € www.stevecagan.blogspot.com