OHIO-BIRDS Archives

August 2012

From:
Scott Pendleton <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Scott Pendleton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 12 Aug 2012 14:36:01 -0400
This morning a saw three bulky looking birds on fence posts roughly 700-800 yards away near
the Harrison County Airport. In the scope they appeared long winged, brown-black shoulders and
neck, black wing, lower back and tail and at certain angles the neck was a grayish black. Two birds
did some aerobatic maneuvers around each other and then landed in a Russian Olive. I was
reasonably certain they were ravens but the proportions were a little off- beak not as bulky, neck a
little thin, head a little small. I decided not to add them to my ebird list and because of these factors
and moved on. While on the walking portion of my route, I heard the unmistakable croaking call of
the raven. Two of the birds flew and glided directly overhead where I could add a nice view of the
silhouette. After reviewing the species at home, I account for the color and proportions to the fact
they were hatch year birds.
     I realize shorebird, kites and herons are all the rage this August, however, it is a great time to
test your ID skills with hatch year birds. The grassland sparrows are especially challenging and
occasionally frustrating, but at least they can be seen well, as opposed to the woodland species.
Even so, both are well worth the effort.
Scott Pendleton