OHIO-BIRDS Archives

August 2012

From:
"Norris, Keith A" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Norris, Keith A
Date:
Fri, 3 Aug 2012 15:35:17 -0400
Hi all,

During the past 5 days, our researchers have captured and color-marked
nearly 200 shorebirds in the Sandusky Bay and Ottawa National Wildlife
Refuge regions!  This adds to the more than 130 shorebirds captured and
marked earlier this season.  Be sure to look for these birds as they move
between different wetlands on their way south!

Any sighting you make provides valuable information researchers can use to
evaluate how shorebirds move between and utilize various habitat locations
during their stopover and southward migration.  If you see any color-marked
shorebirds, please record the color of the marking, species, your location,
and send your report to Keith Norris ([log in to unmask]).  Reports of
color-marked shorebirds have come from as far north as Pointe Mouillee
(Michigan) , as far west as Toledo, and as far east as Lorain - so keep
your eyes open wherever you see shorebirds!

Currently, researchers are using solid Red, Blue, Green, and Black colors
on the breast feathers to indicate the specific location where the bird was
captured and banded. Eight species are being marked:  Semipalmated Plover,
Killdeer, Lesser Yellowlegs, Semipalmated Sandpiper, Least Sandpiper,
Pectoral Sandpiper, Dunlin, Short-billed Dowitcher.

More information, pictures of color-marked shorebirds, and a convenient
data sheet are available on the Black Swamp Bird Observatory’s website (Click
Here <http://www.bsbobird.org/pdf/Shorebird_Migration_Research_Form.pdf>).

The color-marking operation is one aspect of a larger research project.
This entire study will provide insights on:

1.  Body mass dynamics of migrating shorebirds
2.  Food and habitat resources available for migrating shorebirds
3.  Local shorebird movements and stopover duration

The results of this research will be used to improve the “Shorebird Habitat
Conservation Strategy” developed by the Upper Mississippi River & Great
Lakes Region Joint Venture.  If you have any questions about our research
or our preliminary findings, please contact Keith Norris ([log in to unmask]
).

Thanks for your assistance!

Keith

--

Keith A. Norris

Graduate Associate

School of Environment & Natural Resources

The Ohio State University

Project Website <http://twel.osu.edu/projects/Norris.html>

217.855.6324