OHIO-BIRDS Archives

August 2012

From:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 Aug 2012 19:42:56 -0400
Early landbird and gull migration was starting to show at the south end of Alum Lake this morning.  New Galena had some obvious migrants, while the Alum Creek Lake beach had a big gull flock and migrating swallows.  Notables included:

Gulls&Terns - the Ring-billed flock on the beach topped 400 birds, and included a few Herring Gulls & 2 Common Terns
Hummingbirds - 4 were around New Galena, while another 2-3 were around the Visitor's Center
Flycatchers - fair #s of Pewees (3-4 @ New Galena) and E.Kingbirds (3 @ New Galena)
RED-BR.NUTHATCH - 1 was in the small stand of pines at New Galena, about as early as I've ever seen one here
Vireos - New Galena had 3-4 Warbling and 2 White-eyed in about an hour
SWALLOWS - steady movement along the west shore for much of the morning.  In a 30 minute span along the beach I counted 90 Cliff, 24 Barn, 2 Rough-winged, and 1 Tree, all heading south along the shore in small groups of 4-8 birds
Gnatcatchers - good #s, with 5-6 in 1 hour at New Galena, and another 3-4 near the Visitor's Center
Mimids - New Galena had 25+ Catbirds and 1-2 Thrashers in about an hour of walking around.
Cedar Waxwings - minor movement, with perhaps 10 birds moving south past New Galena
Horned Larks - at least 2 were flying around & calling in the beach area
Baltimore Orioles - 2 males at New Galena, and another was calling at the dam south of there