OHIO-BIRDS Archives

August 2012

From:
robert lane <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
robert lane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 4 Aug 2012 08:28:42 -0400
Tomorrow, Sunday, August 5th; my wife Denise and I, will be doing our final volunteer gig of the summer, at The Beaver Creek Wildlife Education Center. What this means to all you birders, is that this will be your last opportunity for us to give you a personal tour of The Center, located in southeastern Columbiana County. The Center will be open, and we will be there, in the afternoon, from 2PM to 6PM. Upon your hopeful arrival, let us know you are a visiting birder; we guarantee special treatment. The Center has over 350 bird and mammal mounts on display in natural settings; everything from a Great Gray Owl to a full size Mountain Goat. Nearly every bird you will, or could have encountered in Ohio, can be seen, including a Passenger Pigeon. There is plenty to see and do. Some of the rooms you will visit are the fabulous Ohio Room, you will say WOW! The North American Wildlife Room, which includes 2 full size standing Grizzlies, the Live Animal Room which has bees to snakes, and more, a hands on room for the kids, an unbelievable egg collection, Ohio indian artifacts, and a U.S.Fish and Wildlife Service confiscated items display, just to name a few! You do not need to go to The Cleveland Museum of Natural History, or The Carnegie Museum of Natural History, it's all right here, and it's free!!! The simplest directions to reach The Center, are to go to the intersection of SR11 and SR7 north of the town of East Liverpool. Take SR7 north about two miles to the Beaver Local Schools, turn right on Bell School Road, go a little over a mile to Echo Dell Road, turn left. Follow the signs for a half mile, to The Center on the right. The scenic Beaver Creek State Park is just down the hill. A restored, operating grist mill and pioneer village are here, to add excitement to your country pilgrimage. Beat the heat and take a ride on Sunday, and surprise Denise and I by paying us a visit. Hope to see you there.

Bob Lane (today, sent from Damascus, Mahoning County)