OHIO-BIRDS Archives

August 2012

From:
David Tan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
David Tan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 Aug 2012 21:37:23 -0400
Aug. 17, 2012 -- Grain Elevator Wetlands
6 p.m. to 830 pm

Partly cloudy to clear, very breezy.  Lots of shorebirds and habitat in the
pond.  Well seen Black Vulture sitting on top of telephone pole, watched
for 10 min., still there when we left.
Wonderful looks at a tame juv. Henslow's Sparrow in the grassy path at the
south edge of the pond.  Very nice....Several flocks of Mallards flying
over coming from the west and overhead
to the south east---a f. type N. Pintail in one flock and a albino Mallard
in another (same size, shape, flight, plumage virtually all white).

The follow seen in vacinity of the wetlands:

Wood Duck  11
Mallard  220 (about a dozen in the wetlands the rest flying over in flocks
of 12 to over 50)
Blue-winged Teal  3
N. Pintail  1
Great Blue Heron  1 ad.
BLACK VULTURE
N. Harrier  1 f/juv.
Red-shouldered Hawk  1 imm.
Red-tailed Hawk  1 imm.

Semipalmated Plover  30 (incl. the first juv. -- 5)
Killdeer  220
Spotted Sandpiper  3
Solitary Sandpiper  70
Greater Yellowlegs  5
Lesser Yellowlegs  85
Semipalmated Sandpiper  15
Least Sandpiper  55
Baird's Sandpiper  1 juv.
Pectoral Sandpiper  60
Stilt Sandpiper  25
Short-billed (hendersoni) Dowitcher  8
Wilson's Snipe  3

Mourning Dove  450
Common Nighthawk  1
C. Swift  150
American Crow  2

Starling 120

Savannah Sparrow  2
Henslow's Sparrow  1 juv.
Dickcissel  2 flybys
Bobolink  30, flock, flyby
Red-winged Blackbird  20
Common Gackle  2
BH Cowbird  2
House Finch  1
A. Goldfinch  30

Amphibians:
Green Treefrog 1 on windshield when we returned to car
Pickerel Frog 1 near pond in the middle of the grassy patch

Good Birding,

David Tan
Columbus