OHIO-BIRDS Archives

September 2012

From:
Darlene Sillick <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Darlene Sillick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 23 Sep 2012 10:16:15 -0400
All (members and any and all guests) are welcome to attend the Columbus
Audubon program Tuesday, September 25.

Location: The Grange Insurance Audubon Center 505 W. Whittier St, Columbus
Ohio 43215

For more information visit: www.columbusaudubon.org

We start at 7pm with the Columbus Audubon Short Program by Amanda Conover,
Coordinator for the Ohio Bird Conservation Initiative and she will talk
about the Lights Out Columbus program.

At 7:15 we will have a 15 minute break then our evening program begins:

CA Main Program at 7:30pm - Greg Miller - Life After the Big Year Movie
Release.

We are pleased that our own northeast Ohio Greg Miller will again kick off
our 2012-13 season of Columbus Audubon programs at GIAC.  Greg will talk
about life after "The Big Year" and talk about his many birding adventures
both in the field and behind a podium since the film came out. Greg was one
of the three stars in the 2004 book The Big Year by Mark Obmasick and saw
over 700 species in 1998.

In a recent interview, Greg was asked:  Do you feel that technology in
today's world makes doing a Big Year easier?  "I did my big year without a
laptop, a cell phone, or a GPS unit. There were no blogs, no facebook, and
no tweets then either. All of these things would have helped stay up-to-date
with the latest information available. There is also more readily available
info on bird sightings on the Internet now too"

Greg will speak about how the interest in bird watching across the country
has increased. He talks from the heart and that makes it even better!  Can't
wait to hear how the movie made some changes in Greg's life!!

This years' Columbus Audubon program line-up includes:

Oct 23, 2012           Dick Tuttle, sharing his conservation work with
American Kestrel Conservation

Nov 27, 2012          Jen Brumfield, bird illustrator and tour guide and
respected for her amazing birding skills

Jan 22, 2013            Andy Jones, Ph. D. Cleveland Natural History
Ornithology director

Feb 26, 2013           Jason Martin, Cornell Lab Nestwatch Director

March 26, 2013       Julie Zickefoose, artist and writer extraordinaire!!!

April 23, 2013         Kim Kaufmann, BSBO, OYBC, Biggest Week and the list
goes on.

May 28, 2013          Mary Maloney, director at The OSU Chadwick Arboretum