OHIO-BIRDS Archives

September 2012

From:
Ken Ostermiller <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Ken Ostermiller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 13 Sep 2012 06:25:17 -0400
New Ohio eBird Hot Spots

Lake Erie pelagic--open water (Erie Co.)
Lake Erie pelagic--littoral (Erie Co.)
Lake Erie pelagic--open water (Lorain Co.)
Lake Erie pelagic--littoral (Lorain Co.)
Lake Erie pelagic--open water (Cuyahoga Co.)
Lake Erie pelagic--littoral (Cuyahoga Co.)

For those of you who will be going on one of the guided pelagic birding
trips this fall, we have set up six eBird hot spots in Lake Erie where you
may report your sightings. These hot spots are organized by county, one
close to shore and the other on open water. “Littoral” means the part of a
sea, lake, or river close to shore. When you are on one of these trips, we
ask that you keep your checklist by county and whether the birds were seen
near shore or on open water.

We also ask that one person (usually the trip guide) submit the checklists
to eBird and then share these lists with other eBirders on the trip. For
more information on sharing lists in eBird visit:
http://ebird.org/content/ebird/news/new-feature-ebird-checklist-sharing
If you use eBird, you should ask your trip leader who will be submitting the
checklist to eBird. You will need to give that person the email address you
use with eBird so he or she can share the group’s checklist with you.

Vic Fazio, who reviews the checklists we submit to eBird in Ohio, suggested
that we set up these hot spots so that the location of birds seen on Lake
Erie might be more accurately placed.

Ken Ostermiller
eBird Hot Spot reviewer for Ohio