OHIO-BIRDS Archives

September 2012

From:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 16 Sep 2012 03:07:37 -0400
I joined the Ohio Young Birders Group for part of the morning at Hoover Meadows and the Galena Boardwalk, and also made brief side-trips to Oxbow Island (early) and Wiese Rd (late).  Water levels are extremely low, so shorebird potential off at the boardwalk is low; Plumb Rd access offers a much better vantage point.  Oxbow and Hoover Meadows had decent migrant fallout.  More than just birds was dropping out of the sky: we had a hot-air balloon land in a yard next to Hoover Meadows! Highlights included:

Great Blue Herons/Great Egrets - about 20 of the former and 12 of the latter scattered over the mudflats
Waterfowl- along with an immense flock of Canada Geese around the mudflats, we also found 2 Blue-winged Teal and 4 N.Shovelers.  Cormorants were widespread, with top numbers of 100+ up by the mudflats.

Shorebirds - lots of Kildeer (90+), plus 4 Semipalmated Plovers, 2 Solitary Sandpipers, 2 Lesser Yellowlegs, 4 Pectoral Sandpipers (Wiese rd), and 2 Least Sandpipers.

Raptors - 1 immature Bald Eagle and 1 soaring Peregrine graced the Boardwalk, while we heard Red-shouldered and Red-tailed at Hoover Meadows.  Turkey Vultures were soaring over most locations, and 15-20 were roosting at Hoover Meadows.

Woodpeckers - Red-headed were east of the Boardwalk (2) and at Wiese.  Wiese also had a calling Pileated.

Hummingbirds - had 2 Ruby-throats among flowers at Hoover Meadows

Flycatchers - little other than 1-2 Phoebes at Hoover Meadows

Vireos - 1 Blue-headed was singing at Hoover Meadows

Swallows - nada, but did have some swifts swirling around the Peregrine over the Boardwalk parking lot.

Red-br.Nuthatches - 1 was calling at Hoover Meadows, while another was foraging in riparian forest (!) along Wiese Rd.

Wrens,Gnatcatchers - 4-5 House Wrens still at Hoover Meadows, along with a late-ish Blue-gray Gnatcatcher

Thrushes - slim for migrants, with only a few Swainson's at Oxbow and Wiese, but Hoover Meadows had lots of E.Bluebirds

Mimids - still lots of Catbirds at all stops.  Brown Thrashers persist at Hoover Meadows and Wiese rd.

Cedar Waxwings - small flocks at Oxbow Island and Hoover Meadows

Warblers - small fallout at Oxbow, Hoover Meadows, and Wiese yielded 8 species, including Tennessees (5), Magnolias (8), Black-thr.Greens (4), Cape Mays (2), Yellow-throated (1 late bird at Wiese), Blackpoll, Redstart (7), Common Yellowthroat

Sparrows - little other than a few resident Field and Song Sparrows

Blackbirds - Oxbow Island had early flyover flocks of Redwings and Grackles, as well as 2 rather late Bobolinks