OHIO-BIRDS Archives

September 2012

From:
John Pogacnik <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Pogacnik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 16 Sep 2012 21:55:42 -0400
Today was surprisingly good considering it was a very light southerly wind.
There were a lot more geese today and a lot of gulls.  The gulls passed by
mainly in three bunches.  The largest was a group of over 700 that passed by
in a period of 15 minutes.  The gulls would pass by in groups and in between
it was slow.  There was a mixed group of gulls that fed off-shore most of
the morning.  This is where the immature long-tailed jaeger passed by at
7:45.  It flew east through the flock of gulls that were heading west while
feeding.  The gulls did not seem to concerned.  The parasitic jaeger passed
by around 9:10, it was heading west.  I saw another about a half hour later.
It seemed to be identical to this bird so I counted it as one.  It was
interesting to compare the wingbeats of the long-tailed jaeger as opposed to
the parasitic.  The long-tailed had a wingbeat that was pretty similar to
that of a nighthawk.  The parasitic was more fluid.  Also when the parasitic
passed by, the gulls got excited and a couple took chase.  The long-tailed
jaeger went through unmolested.

Lakeshore Waterbird Survey
North Perry, Lake County
September 16, 2012, 700-1000
Weather- clear
Winds- S 5, Temp- 51-61 F
Barometer- 30.20,
Humidity-86-78, Dew point- 47-54
Waves- 1-2  feet, Flight direction- west

Canada goose 72
Double-crested cormorant 5
Bald eagle   1 imm
Bonaparte's gull  18