OHIO-BIRDS Archives

September 2012

From:
Bill Whan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bill Whan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 Sep 2012 14:24:12 -0400
At lunch today at the park north of Green Lawn Dam we counted 83 great
egrets, a personal record. They were just loafing, not fishing,
accompanied by ~110 mostly ring-billed and a few herring gulls. Now that
we have a nesting colony, egrets have become routine spring through fall
along the Scioto in Columbus, and numbers such as this may signal that
the number of nests is increasing, perhaps in sites away from the Shrum
Mound colony. Less than fifteen years ago, the first inland Ohio nests
were found.
Bill Whan
Columbus