OHIO-BIRDS Archives

September 2012

From:
Nancy Anderson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Nancy Anderson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 23 Sep 2012 16:54:04 -0700
I was at Villa Angela/Wildwood State Parks on the east side of Cleveland today from 10:20 to 4pm.  Mark Anderson walked with me til noon then he left when there were many birds.  Birds were more plentiful today than yesterday.  The Villa Angela woods further into the park was very busy for a long time.  Then after Mark left I walked over to the woods in Wildwood across the street (up from the creek) and it was very birdy in the woods and down by the creek below the woods.  (you can walk to the left down there)  I eventually went back to Villa Angela and when the birds slowed down further south into the park I walked up near the lake and there were more birds up there.  It started to rain around 2:30 and then after 3pm there was more activity.  I had a hard time leaving today.  There were Golden-crowned Kinglets heard many places but most were too high for me to see all of them.  Ruby-crowned Kinglets were more visible.  There were more
 White-throated Sparrows, multiple Black-throated Blue males, also multiple Bay-breasted, many Blackpolls, Redstarts and Magnolias.  Here is a list of some of what I saw:

Great Blue Heron 2
Turkey Vultures 6
Yellow-bellied Sapsucker 2
Eastern Wood Pewee 1
Least Flycatcher 1
Empid Flycatchers 3
Blue-headed Vireo 2 (WW & VA)
Red-eyed Vireo 3 (1VA & 2WW)
Red-breasted Nuthatch 3 (1VA & 2WW near Lakeshore parking lot)
Brown Creeper 4 (1VA & 3WW)
Carolina Wrens 3 (1VA & 2WW)
House Wrens 4
Golden-crowned Kinglets - many heard saw 3
Ruby-crowned Kinglets 10
Swainson's Thrush 17
Gray Catbirds 15-20
Brown Thrasher 2 (or more)

Warblers:
Nashville 2
Northern Parula 1
Chestnut-sided 3
Magnolia ~14
Black-throated Blue 6 (1f & 5m)
Yellow-rumped 5 only near lake in VA where it was cold (heard more)
Black-throated Green 3
Bay-breasted 5
Blackpoll 15
Black-and-White 3
American Redstart ~17
Ovenbird 2 (possibly 3) in VA
Common Yellowthroat 6
Wilson's 4

SCARLET TANAGER 1 female (in field near library)
Song Sparrows - few
Lincoln's Sparrow 1 (WW)
White-throated Sparrows - multiple dozens
Chimney Swifts - ~ 15

Picture taking has been a disaster, camera too slow, too much canopy, too dark, birds hidden up high

Nancy Anderson
Richmond Hts, OH
NE Cuyahoga County
http://www.flickr.com/photos/nancy_a/