OHIO-BIRDS Archives

September 2012

From:
Bill Whan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bill Whan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Sep 2012 10:44:01 -0400
        Folks who are, or might be, seriously interested in Ohio birds have, or
ought to have, a copy of Peterjohn's "The Birds of Ohio."  This 637-page
well-bound paperback volume, published in 2001, is the authoritative
text on the subject; there is a 1989 edition in a coffee-table format
which is missing a lot of newer information, and which features some
full-page illustrations, which are nice but hardly necessary for the
serious user.
        Now I hear this book is out of print. The publisher, the Wooster Book
Company of Wooster, Ohio, probably has copies, but no longer lists it in
its on-line catalog. There are the usual internet lists of copies for
sale, which this morning ranged from 68 cents to 64 dollars per copy.
Take my advice if you don't have a copy: get one soon.
Doubtless there are still some fresh copies in bookstores--we all
remember those, right?--that run just over $20.
        If you are just getting started in birding, you will eventually need
this important reference, but you may not be able to find it when you
do. I use it all the time, and because it has a clunky 30-page index I
have for years offered a handy short version you can paste inside the
back cover; write me if you'd like a file you can print off.
        This important work will remain on library shelves, but any reader of
this list without a personal copy should acquire one pretty quick.  If
you plan to learn more about Ohio's birdlife you cannot be without it.
Bill Whan
Columbus