OHIO-BIRDS Archives

September 2012

From:
Cole DiFabio <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Cole DiFabio <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 29 Sep 2012 13:59:06 -0400
Today, I attended a Lake Metroparks birding program with our guide being John Pogacnik. We started
the morning at the new park in Perry: Lake Erie Bluffs. This is a great park with lake views and a great
trail with lots of vegetation. Although warbler (3 species) and sparrow (3 species) numbers were low,
a MERLIN was a nice highlight. It was first seen flying over the lake and John made the ID while it flew
in and over the trees. Other birds of note were Red-breasted Merganser, Bald Eagle (4-5), Cooper's
Hawk, Yellow-bellied Sapsucker, and Red-breasted Nuthatch. eBird checklist can be seen here:

Our next stop was Wake Robin. When we arrived, we were told a Nelson's Sparrow was being seen,
but hadn't been seen for the past hour. We spent about a half an hour looking for it before I found a
single Nelson's to the right of the pond, on the left side of the boardwalk. It flushed up and flew,
showing the short tail. Other birds of note included Sora, American Kestrel (flyover), Red-breasted
Nuthatch, Marsh Wren, 3 warblers spp. and sparrows: Savannah, Song, Lincoln's & Swamp. eBird list
here: http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist?subID=S11681919

Good Birding,
Cole F. DiFabio
Kirtland, Lake County