OHIO-BIRDS Archives

September 2012

From:
Glen Crippen <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Glen Crippen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 Sep 2012 16:19:35 -0400
I spent Saturday and Sunday mornings at Conneaut.  On Saturday the gates
were locked at first light and I was told that the sand spit was closed due
to fireworks that were to occur that  evening.  Foot access was still
permitted.  This turned out to be a blessing in disguise because about 6 or
7 of us had the place to ourselves all morning.  What an awesome place to
bird - If I lived closer I would be there all the time!

Saturday's highlights were a flyover Whimbrel and a Merlin that came in off
the lake at a blazing fast and impressive speed.  Diversity was overall kind
of low and didn't exceed ten shorebird species.  Sunday's highlights were a
single Red knot (6:30 AM and only stuck around about half an hour), 3
Baird's sandpipers, Black-bellied plover and yet another Merlin (this one
much darker than Saturday's bird) which came very close to getting a pigeon
then pursued a Ring-billed gull!  A Great Black-backed gull was present for
awhile Sunday too.  I photographed a banded Caspian tern on Saturday but
cannot discern any numbers on the band.  It appears old and worn (a metal
band?) and the photos I have actually don't show any numbers at all so
perhaps any identification code was on the opposite side of the band.

Glen Crippen

Burr Oak Lake