OHIO-BIRDS Archives

September 2012

Date:
Wed, 5 Sep 2012 08:20:01 -0700
I've birded some in Ohio in the past and have a very modest
Greetings,

I've birded some in Ohio in the past and have a very modest state list of 211 species (added 10 in the last 2 days doing some shorebirding).  I would like to try to add to that now that I've moved back to the state, but I have no illusions of being or plans to be a top state-lister.  I'll be spending most of my time traveling between the areas of Wooster and Canton south to the Ohio River.  I may be making other requests like this in the future (if this one is well-enough received), but for now maybe I'll ask about a few species that I'd like to try to track down this fall, if possible.

I have a fair ability to find info online, but I'm relatively unfamiliar with birding locations in Ohio and am looking for specific info from your personal experience.  Specific directions and strategies (time of day, where to park, where exactly to look, specific time of year windows etc) are especially desired.  I may be able to travel an hour or two outside the area described above (ie to Sandusky or Conneaut or east side of Columbus) at times, but locations in east-central to southeast Ohio are preferred.

So without further ado, here are four species I'm looking for some help locating:

Henslow's Sparrow
Sedge Wren
Upland Sandpiper
Short-eared Owl