OHIO-BIRDS Archives

September 2012

From:
Laura Peskin <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Laura Peskin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 8 Sep 2012 03:16:07 +0000
The Miracle Gro lawsuit thread if its acrimoniousness didn't drive everyone away, is a good lead-in to the issue of bird feeding in general and whether to do it or not.  A longtime issue in the decision to feed the birds has been that the companies that make bird seed also manufacture pesticides and chemical fertilizers which are bad for the environment.  Frankly I have felt a little uncomfortable buying anything from Scotts or the other big agrichem companies even their organic fertilizers.  I also have for a long time felt uncomfortable about feeding birds because it disrupts the course of nature at worst and at best wastes fossil fuels, doesn't help birds, brings rodents (which increases pesticide sales) and really is only about the people and not the birds.  I have no plans to put out any birdseed this winter unless someone shows me some scientific evidence that it helps. I have reason to believe that some bird feeding might hurt the environment.  For example nyjer seed comes from four countries in the world- India, Nepal, Burma (Myamar) and Ethiopia.  I'm not sure if these countries have bad environmental records but they're sure not tops worldwide in protecting the environment.   I'm not against buying stuff from these countries as long as one needs it.  Expending fossil fuels by shipping seed around the world to feed goldfinches just doesn't seem like a big necessity.  I tend to take a deep ecological view of things and have no interest in pets (aren't birdfeeder birds quasi pets ?) or consumer goods.  Of course I am evil and a huge hypocrite too.  I do my winter bird-watching someplace warm and that plane ride creates a gigantic footprint.  I just think that nothing should be a sacred cow.  I have almost never seen a critical discussion of bird feeding.  Perhaps it's a non-issue.  Does anyone know ?
Laura