OHIO-BIRDS Archives

September 2012

From:
Nancy Anderson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Nancy Anderson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 1 Sep 2012 17:56:01 -0700
I was at Villa Angela and Wildwood State Parks today on the east side of Cleveland from 9:15am to after 5pm.  I bird watched for about 6-1/2 hrs of it.  When I first walked up to Lake Erie in Villa Angela I wasn't seeing much of anything and was disappointed.  But when I walked back into the woods and heard a few cardinals deeper into the woods I realized there were some warblers very high up and that was how it was most of the day.  Not a large amount of warblers but they were scattered in most of the Villa Angela woods further into the park very high.  There were a few new birds for me today and many thrushes.  Here is a list of some of the birds I saw:

Great Blue Herons 2
Turkey Vultures 10+ (kettle of six in afternoon)
Belted Kingfishers 2
Northern Flickers 4-5
Empid Flycatchers 2
Red-eyed Vireos 2
Carolina Wrens 2
Veery 1 (1st I have seen)
Swainson's Thrush 10-12 (first I have seen)
American Robins 50+
Gray Catbirds - very numerous

Warblers (most seen in Villa Angela)
Blue-winged 1 (along Euclid Creek in Wildwood down from parking lot)
Tennessee 1
Yellow 2 (1 adult and 1 female or immature)
Chestnut-sided 1
Magnolia 6
Blackpoll 6
Black-and-white 2
American Redstart 5
Wilson's 1

Song Sparrows ~ 4
White-throated Sparrow 1 or 2 (seen in Villa Angela near main woods entrance near road near very large evergreen bushes that always seem to have very early White-throated during migration - also seen further into eastern end of silver maple woods - calling "bing bing bing" was very dull looking - picture completely fuzzy as the woods were very thick with canopy today

Rose-breasted Grosbeak 1 male

I was leaving today and stopped at the Lakeshore parking lot and walked down to the creek near Lakeshore Blvd and spent over an hour walking back along creek near trees and bushes.  I stepped into a very thick thicket near the path/creek and a Catbird alerted me to the presence of the Blue-winged Warbler as I would never of seen it otherwise.

Nancy Anderson
Richmond Hts, OH
Northeastern Cuyahoga County
http://www.flickr.com/photos/nancy_a/