OHIO-BIRDS Archives

September 2012

From:
Cheryl Harner <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Cheryl Harner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 8 Sep 2012 15:19:13 -0400
Fellow Birders,

This morning’s downpour cancelled our planned bird walk, but we Mohicans regrouped, had breakfast and some constructive conversation.
  a.. GMAS supports using native plants in the landscape; native plants can be an excellent addition or alternative to bird feeders.
  b.. We support buying bird seed from LOCAL farmers- whom we know and trust.
  c.. Our organization is currently working on local conservation issues with both Ashland Park District and with Malabar Farm State Park.
Conservation issues are always a main concern of our society, and we know protecting habitat is just as important as the bird walks. GMAS salutes all of our fellow Ohio birding organizations: Audubons, BSBO, OOS and numerous bird clubs. Thank you for the good conservation and educational programs being promoted throughout the state.  Quite frankly, we are all too busy trying to accomplish something good to attempt to address every negative that impacts our world.  That task would be endless (and depressing)!

The good news?  After a hearty breakfast, we were able enjoy a partly-sunny stroll on the Richland B & O Bike Trail.  Several species of warblers were seen, including Tennessee Warbler, Blackpoll Warbler, Black-throated Green Warbler, and Common Yellowthroat.

The wild cherries are in full fruit, so pay particular attention to these trees.  Many of our other fall migrants are feeding heavily on the berries.
Gary Cowell can post the entire list later, but we all agreed: birding is good, native plants are key to their survival and protecting habitat important.

Bird On-

Cheryl Harner
Greater Mohican Audubon Society