OHIO-BIRDS Archives

September 2012

From:
Craig Holt <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Craig Holt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Sep 2012 07:34:40 -0700
Got in a lot of birding yesterday in the NW L. Erie marsh region. First good sighting was 4 sandhill cranes in a field along Rte. 2 in Ottawa Co.   Started in the early morning at Magee Marsh Bird Trail.  Found decent activity towards the east end.  Warblers included: chestnut-sided, magnolia, Cape May, yellow-rumped, black-throated green, bay-breasted, blackpoll, Am. redstart, and c. yellowthroat.  Also n. flickers, e. wood-pewees, warbling vireos, red-eyed vireo, 5 red-breasted nuthatches, Carolina wren, Swainson's thrushes, gray catbirds, and cedar waxwings.  Next we walked the Crane Creek Estuary Trail to view one part of the estuary.  Seen there: green-winged teal, snowy egret, black-bellied plover, greater yellowlegs, lesser yellowlegs, least sandpipers, buff-breasted sandpiper, short-billed dowitcher.  Then we went to the regular Ottawa NWR entrance, and made the hike out to the south side of the estuary.  Picked up a spotted sandpiper,
 but at the prime-looking mudflat area there were absolutely no shorebirds.  Did see a stilt sandpiper at a little mud island.  There was a nice group of terns with 60 commons and 15 Forster's estimated.  Also some Caspian terns and Bonaparte's gulls.  On the walk back to the car we flushed a couple wood ducks.  Next/last birding site we visited was the Cedar Point Chaussee.  There were a lot of birds there: Am. wigeon, blue-winged teal, n. shovelers, green-winged teal, pied-billed grebes, great egrets, 2 snowy egrets, juv. little blue heron, semipalmated plovers, killdeer, lesser yellowlegs, 3 marbled godwits, least sandpipers, pectoral sandpipers, 20 stilt sandpipers, short-billed dowitchers, 5 red-necked phalaropes, Caspian terns, tree swallows, and barn swallows.  Back at the brush/woody area by the parking pull-off were some more passerines: e. wood-pewee, Philadelphia vireo, chestnut-sided warbler, Am. redstarts and a number of no ID
 warblers.  All in all a good birding day......Craig Holt, Lowellville