OHIO-BIRDS Archives

September 2012

From:
Verna Ansel <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Verna Ansel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Sep 2012 10:54:02 -0700
Thanks to a post by Rob Thorn I went over to Darby Bend Lakes off Amity Road in the westernmost part of Franklin County today. I was rewarded by seeing two red-headed woodpeckers on the west side of the north pond. They were quite busy flying from one dead limb to another and so my husband and I got good looks. We also took the newest trail at the sound end of the lakes - Alder Trail, and were excited to see two pileated woodpeckers busy banging their heads into some sycamore trees. As a non-birder, this was my husband's first time to see them and he was rightly impressed at all the leaves and debris they were knocking from the trees. Also saw cedar waxwings, robins, cardinals, etc. and heard a wood pewee. The kingfisher was busy back and forth on the north lake as well.

Happy birding,
Verna Ansel
Galloway, OH