OHIO-BIRDS Archives

October 2012

From:
Kate Zimmerman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 2 Oct 2012 18:11:55 -0400
It's time for our annual Ohio Young Birders Club (OYBC) BIG SIT For Conservation!

Come join us this Sunday, October 7th 2012
7:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.
Meadowbrook Marsh
8577 E. Bayshore Road
Marblehead, Ohio 43440

 Students, come out and go birding and help support your club and habitat conservation by attending the OYBC Big Sit For Conservation! Adults, we hope to exceed last year's amount, so we need your help too!

Last weekend the birding at Meadowbrook Marsh was really awesome.  An OOS Annual Conference field trip to the area last weekend found 75 species, including highlights such as, Osprey, Black-crowned Night Heron, Scarlet Tanager, and Purple Finch. It's a great place to go birding AND it's for a great cause!

Our 2010 Big Sit Fundraiser had 62 species and helped raised $3,400. The proceeds helped support the OYBC and Middle Bass Island East Point Preserve. In 2011 we smashed our fundraising record and raised nearly $6,000! And we only had 31 species of birds. The proceeds helped support the OYBC and Port Clinton Lakefront Preserve.

This year's proceeds will help support the OYBC and Meadowbrook Marsh so come out and. HELP US BREAK OUR FUNDRAISING GOAL AND BIRD SPECIES RECORD!

The rules for our version of the Big Sit are simple: OYBC Members (or anyone with an interest) stay in a 17-foot diameter circle and identify all the birds they see or hear during a defined period of time. If you want to help identify birds, you can arrive at a time that's convenient for you, and you can stay as long as you want during this day-long event. Bring optics, a comfortable chair, and something to eat and drink. BSBO will provide some snacks!

At Meadowbrook Marsh, we'll setup near the low-profile observation deck. We'll be close to the wetland, the woodlot, and the prairie area which will provide a nice mix of habitats.  If you would like to donate to the OYBC Big Sit, print the pledge form (a PDF file)  http://ohioyoungbirders.org/pdf/OYBC_Big_Sit_Pledge_Form_2012.pdf

and mail it to:

Black Swamp Bird Observatory
13551 W. State Route 2
Oak Harbor, Ohio 43449 Or you can donate to the OYBC Big Sit now using PayPal  http://ohioyoungbirders.org/2012_big_sit_fundraiser.htm#2012bigsit
 New from Kenn Kaufman, a map of Meadowbrook Marsh: http://www.biggestweekinamericanbirding.com/pdf/Meadowbrook_Marsh_Map.pdf
Thank you for supporting habitat conservation and young birders in Ohio. We hope to see you this Sunday!

Kate Zimmerman   Education and Outreach Coordinator
 Ohio Young Birders Club Black Swamp Bird Observatory Oak Harbor, Ohio 43449 419-898-4070
 2011 League of Ohio Sportsmen Conservation Organization of the Year Award  2012 Eastern Maumee Bay Chamber of Commerce Prism Award for Community Improvement
 www.bsbobird.org www.ohioyoungbirders.org www.biggestweekinamericanbirding.com
 BSBO on Facebook and Twitter OYBC on Facebook BIRDING OHIO on Facebook