OHIO-BIRDS Archives

October 2012

Date:
Mon, 1 Oct 2012 02:23:43 -0700
A walk through the Coliseum Grasslands in the Cuyahoga Valley National Park yesterday yielded one confirmed Nelson's Sparrow plus 4 other Ammodramus sparrow species that we never got any clear looks at due to the lack of any high vegetation here. The Nelson's Sparrow finally perched on the back of a clump of grasses providing good looks. The other four would constantly dive down into the low grass offering no looks at field marks other than small & straw-colored. All birds were either left or right of the the wet slough in the middle of the field.
Other birds of note seen while we were there:

Red-shouldered Hawk - 1 (immature)
Wilson's Snipe - 1
Orange-crowned Warbler - 1
Eastern Meadowlark - 1
Savannah Sparrow - 1

Douglas W. Vogus & Michelle Zager - Akron, Ohio.