OHIO-BIRDS Archives

October 2012

From:
Nancy Anderson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Nancy Anderson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 21 Oct 2012 17:21:51 -0700
I was at Villa Angela/Wildwood SP in Cleveland today from 10:15am til after 3:30pm.  It was sunny 52-57 deg with winds WSW to W (8-10mph) and there was bird activity everywhere today, and some different sparrows and many Phoebes.  Here is some of what I saw today:

Black-crowned Night-Heron 1 adult
Bald Eagles 2 (adult & juvenile)
Cooper's Hawk 1
Bonaparte's Gulls 150+ far out
Eastern Phoebe 5 (VA 4, WW 1)
Blue-headed Vireo 1 (VA)in birch woods then the field near library
Red-breasted Nuthatch 2 (VA 1, WW 1)
Brown Creepers 4
Carolina Wren 1
Winter Wren 12
Golden-crowned Kinglets 55+
Ruby-crowned Kinglets 12 (most in WW along Euclid Creek)
Hermit Thrush ~ 17
Brown Thrasher 1
Orange-crowned Warbler 1 (WW)
Eastern Towhee 3 (2F, 1M)
Field Sparrow 2
Fox Sparrow 2 (1VA, 1WW below bridge near mudflat)
Song Sparrow ~ 18
Lincoln Sparrow 1
Swamp Sparrow 2
White-throated Sparrows 80-90
White-crowned Sparrows 9
Dark-eyed Junco ~ 47 (35+ were at the library next door to Villa Angela)
Red-winged Blackbird 1 f
American Goldfinch 10

The Blue-headed Vireo was first seen in birch woods near field then moved to field (north of library in Villa Angela) then started behaving more like the Phoebes landing in grass then flew up to bushes and trees to eat bugs).
Orange-crowned Warbler was seen along plantings along right side of entrance road (but on the east or downward side of them) in Wildwood north of Lakeshore parking lot just north of the first grass cut through in the large Goldenrod thicket that the park service has not cut down YET!

Also:

Sims Park Euclid  9:20am to 10am
Bald Eagle 1 almost adult
Red-breasted Mergansers 1 flying east