OHIO-BIRDS Archives

October 2012

From:
Bob Faber <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bob Faber <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Oct 2012 18:22:21 -0700
On Tuesday October 22 at 9:45 am at least 70+ black vultures departed their evening roosting site in the heart of Garrettsville, Portage County.  The focus of the traditional roost is the tall blue water tower in the center of town.  When I arrived nearby home roofs and backyard trees were also being used as roosts as well as the water tower.  The initial flight did not do the usual circiling, searching, (I suppose), for thermals.  They just took off flapping and headed south. At least 70 birds remained at the roost after the initial departure.

At 5:20 pm there were about 20 birds at the roost. A neighbor says for the past couple of weeks there have been 50-70 birds at the roost each evening.

Each fall and spring during the migration this site always has large concentrations of turkey vultures. I hope its not my cooking.

Bob Faber